Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Tracking Students' Progress

Throughout Chapter 5 of "Formative Assessment and Standards-Based Grading" we look at the different approaches for Tracking Student Progress. I read this chapter and became super confused about assigning summative scores, but then I found that 4th approach. This approach is all about Continual Improvement Throughout the Year. I know this seems like a no brainer, but especially for music it is.

When going through this SBG journey, I think my department could benefit from a total restructure of curriculum, or a design. This allows us to examine the whole experience that a student can experience in music education. If we can see exactly what standards our elementary music teacher is covering and assessing then I should be able to do the same in middle school. In middle school new opportunities arise - students can choose after 6th grade to be in either band, choir, or both. From there I do my own sort of tracking through delivering my beginning instrumental and vocal ensemble instruction. My standards will be met through continual assessment of standards. I've been asked to look with my secondary music colleagues at what the expectations are to be successful as a band/choir student in the freshman year.

To ensure that the tracking is well documented, I have already kept a lesson binder with sheets of the student's progress from weekly lesson attendance. On these sheets I can see if a student came prepared to learn and how many excerpts they have passed from their lesson book. My goal is to move to SBG (performance based grading) so I am able to see if mastery is being achieved on different concepts like "Student is able to play basic rhythms - whole, half, quarter, and eighth notes". Student can demonstrate that through the exercises provided in their lesson books.

As I go into the next year, I intend to track my singers a bit more thoroughly. I plan to have a portfolio of sorts that will have what the students' ranges are and what their tone quality is. I hope to check these quarterly so I could potentially learn more about the changing voice and when to anticipate those changes. Those changes will make SBG challenging in the respect that students will be trying to manipulate an anatomical change... so how do we grade appropriately? Also, communicating to parents and students - even to administration that the student is receiving that grade, not because of a lack of trying, but because the students can't, no matter the manipulation. This grade will change hopefully in middle school but can change through high school. Let's be real... How many voices don't still crack?

This continual tracking can be passed on into the high school setting where we can begin to see a culmination of the K-12 instruction. Through the use of Comprehensive Musicianship Project (CMP) we will begin to see students graduate with a well-rounded music education. I'm very excited to provide the foundation in both instrumental and choral music, taking what the elementary music teacher built and continue it. This should overall help with retention and continued recruitment. Educating students and parents of the standards and how they will be tracked allows for a student to start band/choir at any age and be assessed accordingly. Woot!

Thanks for reading folks! Have a great day! - TGZ

No comments:

Post a Comment