Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Community, Family, and Life Updates

Hello readers,
Let me set the scene for you - I am currently with my mother, a woman that has been dealt a rough hand, not always been able to play to her strengths, in the hospital. The post surgery recovery has been rough and she has been up here in Mason City for about 24 hours now. I am in scrubs and gloves to protect me from the contagious bacteria that could be in my mothers system.

I set that stage for you because I'm learning a lot about this thing we call being an adult. A couple of weeks ago, I had a fantastic opportunity to attend 7 Habits of Highly Effective People training, offered through the Leader Valley Program. I need to tell all of you, how truly beneficial and life changing that training was. Some of you may know that Stephen Covey researched and pooled resources, creating the 7 habits. These habits are extremely beneficial and the first three - Be Proactive, Begin with the End in Mind, and Put First Things First, put things into perspective for me.

As an educator, I typically put my students, my family, my job, and everything else before me, but that shouldn't be the case. Think to yourself, be brutally honest, how much of what you do is for you? How much of what happens in life, do you have control over. That is the most freeing, yet terrifying prospect we have...

Habits 4-6, relate to our interactions with our colleagues, our families, our friends, and everyone else. They are "Think Win-Win", "Seek 1st to understand, then be understood", and "Synergize". How often when we are working in a collaborative setting do you think about what allows all parties to win? This is definitely not compromise, but rather, it's consensus to a degree. The next habit is very tricky for me... My class sizes are anywhere from 30 to 7- students in a period and it can be hard to take time to truly listen. Active listening is a skill that is necessary for us to get the whole picture and not just snippets. There can be a better chance to students or other adults understanding your side if you listen without planning what your "comeback" or "last word" will be. Synergy is putting things together in a collaborative way. In my classes, we have to work together, otherwise, we cannot make the choral sound we desire/need.

Habit 7, is another struggle for me. Sharpening the saw relates to health, spiritual, mental, physical, and more. This means to not do things in excess, instead budget daily time to take a walk, read a book, meditate, and whatever makes you happy and renews your energy. Dear teachers... the struggle is real... we are at the driver's seat of that struggle bus and we can't get off sometimes... Get an accountability partner, do something! I took the time to leave my house this past weekend, which is rare. I felt so extremely refreshed!

I left that 2 day training, exhausted, mentally and emotionally. It was worth every minute though. I loved it. I have been working on a specific habit as I can to ensure balance within me and my life. Take the time - it is self help, but it is even more related to your lifestyle. Pick up the Seven Habits book that fits you and take some time to make you better.

Thanks for reading my musings... More to come after this hospital visit is over.

TGZ

No comments:

Post a Comment