Saturday, April 30, 2016

6th Grade Band Letter Writing

It has been a goal of my current district to integrate writing in meaningful ways in every class. I took this challenge to heart and decided that I was going to have my students in 6th grade band write letters to college professors from Iowa that teach their instrument. That being said, I wrote to nearly every college applied or music education professor at a majority of the colleges and universities to see if students would receive replies.

This began with student reading the professor's biographies, and developing answers to some questions like:
  • Name
  • Educational Background
  • Places taught
  • Instrument played 
  • Locations played
After this - we formulated letters based on this information. Students wrote questions about the above items and it has raised some of the best writing I have seen. I have found that students that play an instrument I don't regularly play, ask their professor pen pals questions related to their instruments, asking for help and guidance in playing their instruments.

After reading through the letters and making revisions, I printed them and the students addressed their own envelopes to the colleges and many of them have been mailed. 

Now we wait... Here's hoping the professors have time to reply! I'm so excited to see what happens in the future!

Thank you to Grinnell College, Wartburg College, Luther College, ISU, UNI, U of Iowa, Drake University, and others. 

More to come!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment