Monday, June 22, 2015

At-Risk vs. Underserved

Today at the PLC Institute provided by Solution Tree, my thinking was challenged. When a teacher thinks about students that are labelled at-risk, what do they think of? Their home life? Mental Health?  Parental support? A slew of negative thoughts tend to rush to my head, then, I hate to admit it, but a groan may come out. Now I don't want my readers to get on their high horse and judge, but rather reflect. When Kenneth Williams asked the entire session to share with a partner something positive about those "at-risk" students you could hear the crickets chirp. However, after we listed characteristics of "at-risk" we then listed students deemed "underserved". Underserved students were categorized to be under the umbrella of special needs, ELL, and an array of other potential issues.

Now that you've thought about it... What's the difference? Students labeled "at-risk" are done so with a negative connotation... But think about it. How many of those factors can the students control? Very few to none, many would think. We can't control those either. Look at the underserved characteristics, how can we help those students. Through the use of carefully planned and structure interventions, the students that are underserved will have greater chances for success.

In other words, the reason for this post, was merely to share my soon to be altered thinking and my challenge readers to look at the students with the rough home lives, and stop making excuses for them. We can do this through helping them leave their worries at the door because they come to school to learn, to improve, to move forward in life. Helping students realize that they can shape their destiny is important. I came from a broken home, with divorce, and a slew of other issues, but I'm here because of my choices to improve and not make the same mistakes. Let's reach out and do the same for our underserved students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment