Friday, March 27, 2015

The Anatomy of Formative Assessments

I was handed the book, Formative Assessment and Standards-Based Grading by Robert J Marzano. This is part of my direction shift from a points-based grading system to a standards-based system. The big take aways from this chapter are:

  • Formative assessment is a process, not just giving a test, quiz, or worksheet. This type of assessment provides feedback to both the teacher and the student. Something to think about with this type of assessment, or any type really, is that when a test is given or when questions are asked we as teachers can find inadequacies in our instruction. This is typically shown through the number of missed questions, or in my case - missed pitches and incorrect rhythms. This allows the teacher to reteach and the students to eventually improve the student and the ensemble's achievement.
There are three types of Classroom Assessments - these are simply obtrusive, unobtrusive, and student-generated assessments.
  • Obtrusive assessments are when we stop to take a test, fill out a worksheet, and they obstruct the flow of instruction. When first reading it, I held a negative connotation to the word "obtrusive". Yes, it may interrupt the flow, but I don't think that has to be a negative in our classrooms. These types of assessments allow us to collect our data through hard copies. 
  • Unobtrusive assessments are more procedural and they don't interrupt the flow of instruction. These are content driven involving learning a skill, strategy, or a process. 
  • The most underutilized type of assessment is student-generated assessment. Basically this means that students are guiding how they'll demonstrate what they've learned. I'm sure I'm not alone with saying that I struggle with this...I shouldn't, but I was trained by teachers that taught with stock assessments and a prescribed way of assessing. The cool thing, is that a shift can happen through Standards-Based Assessment. The teacher, with help from their national and states standards, can lay out the expectations academically for students. From there a student gets to demonstrate mastery of a skill set. In my district, particularly in 6th grade science, I've seen that students can't demonstrate they have mastery of a learning target, so that means the teacher meets with them during lunch and recess to reteach, allow for retakes, and the teacher allow provides other opportunities to demonstrate learning. I feel this allows for students to take ownership of their learning. 
There were other take aways that I had, but it is getting late. As I've been working on this transition, I'm excited to "nerd out" and share my findings. Please feel free to follow me @traviszinnel on Twitter. I'm happy to connect and to continue to learn.

Marzano, R. (2010). The anatomy of formative assessment. In Formative assessment & standards-based grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research Laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment