Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thurs 8/24/11 - Teaching w/o warning

Today my day started with high school marching band. The AP Marching Band is a growing program and they are preparing with a spy themed show for contest in Fort Dodge. The band's set includes "Secret Agent Man", "Mission Impossible", "James Bond", and ending with "Soul Bossa Nova". The students are increasing the number of drill movements year by year and this year seems promising.

When I returned to Aplington Middle School I joined the chorus. Ms. Weichers asked me on the spot if I could teach the solfege hand signs. Having no inhibition I decided why not. I realized how easy or how hard this could be if I showed I was totally prepared, but with that in mind I jumped in. My job became easy and we sang a whole scale in a progression - making connections between intervals etc. Also I had some trouble makers in my back row, so I moved them to the front row and had the group show the hand signs to the class. They shut down rather fast and worked as a group with the rest of the class.

The 6th grade exploratory was a class on Baroque music specifically one Bach and the organ today. Two things that I was very passionate about. Mr. Winkey shares that enthusiasm and I get to continue that tomorrow by showing slides of photos specific to the time/locations and composers discussed. I also hope to make the connections between Bach's Cello Prelude and Secrets by One Republic. Also there is a funk version of Toccata and Fugue in D minor that will be shared.

7/8 Chorus is taught here by Mr. Wessel. He only comes over for this chorus and starts by teaching the Opus Music. Selections this year are challenging especially for the girls. The pieces are rather dissonant and in Latin. This is normally the first language the students are exposed to and they will learn them as a choir. The men are singing Ritterchor favorites "The Awakening" and the "Prayer of the Children". I find it rather interesting that the lowest the students could sing in once piece would be a low G. This is so challenging when half the male voices haven't matured to hit those pitches.

To conclude - more solfege is on the way and there will be more updates coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment